What is Hard water?
Water is an essential element in everyday life such as consuming it, bathing, cleaning things, and many other uses. When there is a large amount of contaminants in the water, as a result, the water is not suitable for daily consumption. And in this article, we will talk about the hardness of water.
Hard water has two types.
1. Temporary hard water: means water in normal conditions. Hardness can be eliminated by boiling water. The heat will cause the bicarbonate of calcium and magnesium which binds together with water molecules, evaporate and causing sediment. It can be solved by filtering by using a water purifier with a filter substance that draws calcium and magnesium out to adjust the water condition, also reducing the problems that may arise from using hard water with various equipment in the house.
2. Permanent hard water: means water that contains a lot of calcium carbonate or calcite solution. It can not be eliminated by boiling, so it has a weak acidic effect. When we use hard water to shower or wash hands, soap will not foam with this type of water and wipe soap stains out of the body. This type of water is found in most water sources which has a limestone floor. The alkalinity of this type of water, it is not suitable for plants or raising animals.
Therefore, hard water is not suitable for general everyday use.
Slag can occur in normal temperature water when the water is very hard. At high temperature, the slag will occur easier and faster than normal temperature water. Inside the building/hotel, hot water system should be softened to prolong the service life of the heating equipment. In addition, it will also extend the service life of the pipes because hard water results in rust in the pipes faster.
water hardness level
• Soft water 75 mg/l CaCO3 or less.
• quite hard water 75 - 150 mg/l CaCO3
• Hard water 150 - 300 mg/l CaCO3
• Very hard water 300 mg/l CaCO3 or more.
Therefore, you must know that how hard the water you are using and what kind it is to select the appropriate removal method
How to know the water in our house is hard or not?
When we wash hands with soap, if we use water with high hardness, the soap will have less foam and wash off easily. On the other hand, water with low hardness has a lot of foam and is harder to wash off with soap.
Basically, the problem can be solved by using a water softener for household
Many people may wonder What is a water softener?
The water softener is a water softening system by pulling hardness out of the water. The hardness is Ca, Mg substances mixed in water. Water with high hardness will result in limestone or slag. This type of water usually happens with water with minerals such as groundwater. Before making soft water, we have to dispose turbidity by sand or carbon filter first. After that, use a cation resin filter. This filter will capture the water hardness until the filter is saturated. When the filter is saturated in the filter recovery, we will use salt water to soak the filter. to allow the filter to return to work as before
Advantages and disadvantages of water hardness
Water that is hard in the right amount will have a hardness of about 75-150 mg/L. This will make the water taste good. The water that is less hard, also known as soft water, will cause corrosion when washing it will feel slippery and difficult to wash off the bubbles. Hard water more than 300 mg/L wastes detergent and soap for washing. Also, drinking water with high hardness has an unpleasant taste.
Ways to solve the problem
There are two types, one for the whole house or use only at a specific point, such as entering a coffee machine, ice maker or use a drinking water filter. Another one is the whole system. The large one has a soft filter substance.